Cleophus B. Lusby, Landsman, U. S. S. Harvest Moon


The son of William H. Lusby, he was born in 1844 and died June 27, 1883, at the age of 39 in Washington, DC. and is buried at the Congressional Cemetery. He married May 25 1869 to Mary Florence Phelps in Washington DC. They had no children. His wife Mary had a sister, Mrs. William Devine, of Leesburg, VA.
This photo of him in his uniform was found in his pension files. Prior to joining the Navy, he was a Blacksmith. After leaving the Navy he worked as a clerk for his father, first at a cemetery, then later in the grocery business.

Naval Service Record

Enlisted at Washington Navy Yard, March 8, 1864.
Assigned to the USS Harvest Moon April 20, 1864 with rank of Landsman.
Confined in double irons February 18-20, 1865 for leaving his station and sleeping on watch.
Transferred to USS Princeton April 1, 1865.
Discharged, April 17, 1865

Affidavit from his pension files

"About February 1st 1865 I first discovered that I was affected with a disease called scurvy. it did not trouble me much except at night when I would undress, when the itching would commence. I sought no medical aid until during the Bulls Bay expedition around Charleston, when from exposure and constant pulling at the oars in a picket boat and similar work my legs began to swell to such an extent that I was compelled to seek medical advise. Went to Dr. Deane, ships surgeon, sometime in Feb. 1865, having just got through with examining his patients on that day Dr. Deane told me to report to him the next day. In the meantime and while I was talking to Dr. Deane, the boatswains mate came and called me to duty. I refused to go expect on the Order of the Dr., who excused me to the boatswain, and the next day I was examined by Dr. Deane and went under his treatment for about one week during which time I done no duty whatever - but lay under the birth deck the whole time. During the previous night we left Bulls and went to Charleston and thence to Stono inlet. While there learned of the evacuation of Charleston - went around and up the harbor to the city of Charleston, layed there about 4 or 5 days, thence to Georgetown, SC, there about 3 days when the main and provisions steamer appeared off the bar. The Admiral desiring to communicate in person with those on the steamer started out to go to the steamer which was just outside the bar. When well underway, and about 2 or 3 miles on our way the vessel struck a torpedo and was blown up and sank immediately. I was not injured in any manner during the explosion, stayed in the Captain's Gig and on the Spar Deck of our boat which was the only part above water during that day - and at night went onboard the Pawnee. Stayed aboard her about one month thence on board the Mingoe (Str) stayed there one week, thence on board the mail steamer "Philadelphia" where I was discharged by reason on expiration of term of Service, April 18, 1865."